April 19, 2009

Sharing Walt Disney’s dream

As a last good wish to the cast of Tokyo Disneyland on their twenty-fifth anniversary, here is the special commemorative coin given out by Disneyland’s Cast Activities Center back in 1983.

The best part of my short look back at the TDL opening was discovering Disney on Parole’s post of the official congratulations photo taken at the floral Mickey at Disneyland’s main gate. It happened just a few days after I began working in Outdoor Vending. Not only did I realize the dream of being part of the magic of Disneyland, I also had the unusual experience of being in one of the most famous picture spots in the Magic Kingdom!

Those of us on the wet grass in front of Main Street Station that morning shared a special moment in Disneyland history. Things were a little less global then. There were no bloggers or websites. Even email was a novelty. But we were sending a greeting to our new Disneyland family in Japan that carried the hope and promise of our own recent silver celebration. For the first time, there really was a Walt Disney World.

I remember heading back into Town Square after the photo was snapped. Passing through the backstage entrance near the old American Egg House, I walked past Wardrobe toward Outdoor Vending’s Tomorrowland offices with an especially happy bounce.

Twenty-five years later, congratulations again, TDL. And thanks.

1 comment:

DIsney On Parole said...

Hey Anne,
It was a special time back then,
I to was in the photo...lol, I will admit your memory is a lot better than mine! lol
Thanks for the blog, so good to share these memories with a classmate
[or should I say"CAST"mate] of the 80s