April 5, 2009

Tokyo Disneyland 25



My knowledge of Tokyo Disneyland is limited to this pre-opening booklet given to me as a Disneyland Cast Member in 1983. April 15 marks twenty-five years. In celebration, I will post the whole book for fans of the Japanese park. Here is the cover and the first couple pages.

According to its website, Tokyo Disneyland seems to have the right idea:

Walt Disney, the founder of Disneyland and Walt Disney Company, had a unique sense of creativity and imagination, one that went beyond traditional ideas about genres and mediums.

But from comics and cartoons to movies and theme parks, there are some fundamental elements that can be found consistently throughout all his many projects; namely, his desire to foster a love of learning in young people and give them the ability to boldly and openly engage the exotic and unknown.

Today, Tokyo Disney Resort tries to base all our endeavors on those same principles, and we hope that by doing so,
we will be able to create a warm, imaginative and truly magical place for all our Guests.

I didn’t see much evidence of “learning” on the website, unless learning to operate an astro-blaster counts. The “exotic and unknown,” though, seemed well represented by George Lucas’s characters and Cirque du Soleil. Tokyo Disneyland indeed seems to be carrying on the updated Disney traditions. I wonder if there are any former TDL CM bloggers who were there in 1983 and recall the happiest place in Japan as it once was. I would love to compare our experiences watching the Parks change.

I remember many of the guests from Japan I met while working in Anaheim. They were invariably happy, charming, and polite. Many were carrying around big stuffed Mickeys, and they seemed to look upon even something as simple as buying a .75 Disney frozen juice bar as an experience to treasure. I wish them all the best, and Tokyo Disneyland a happy twenty-fifth anniversary.

3 comments:

Viewliner Ltd. said...

I think Tokyo DL is one of the great parks of the world. Although I have never been there, I hope to someday. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the book. Thank you.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Ditto what Viewliner said. This place is the next park I want to visit. Neat brochure, love the early photos. I posted a pre-opening brochure back in January (link), but it didn't have photos. Thanks!

TokyoMagic! said...

Ooooooh...I love the aerial shot of the park under construction! I'm a huge fan of Tokyo DL and Tokyo DisneySea. For me visiting the Tokyo parks is like going back in time and getting to visit the original Disneyland at a time when the maintenance was top notch and the employees went above and beyond the normal call of duty.

However, I am just a little worried about them now. Since 2002, they have closed two attractions that were unique to their park (Meet the World and the Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour) and now next month, they will be closing the one and only Mickey Mouse Revue that orginally came from Florida in 1983. They will be replacing it with Mickey's Philarmagic...a 3-D movie that Florida and Hong Kong already have. :-(

But for now, I will keep going back. I will be there next week when the park turns 26!