November 22, 2009

Build me up Buttercup

The Best Possible Job has been off the clock for a while due to family matters. We all have to face certain issues, but that doesn't make them any easier. Sometimes you need something to build yourself back up before things look all right again.

At times like that, nothing's cheerier than flowers. Even artificial ones like the blooms and blossoms that one spilled out onto West Center Street off Disneyland's Main Street. The flower market made it through the first half of the eighties when I was a Cast Member, and I remember vividly the pleasant feeling of stepping onstage through the door tucked in the back. Evicted by the unstoppable force that squeezes commerce into every once-quiet spot in the "Resort," the "small plants and unusual artificial flowers" are gone now. Most modern guests probably don't even notice.

Those who grow up with today's Disneyland are steeped in a Park where period graphics on stores selling everyday plush have taken over the themed experience that Main Street was once. Then, it wasn't just printed signs with nostalgic type and curlicues. Walt's Main Street had a flower market, a bank, a general store, a Carefree Corner because they helped create the state of mind that we imagine existed in bygone days. How many kids with their own iPhones pick up the receivers in the Market House and listen in to 1890 party line conversations?

Probably not many. Fortunately, the Market House still stands. I haven't been to Anaheim since nearly as long ago as 1890, and I hope the old phones are still there, too. Things like the phones and places like the flower market provided a foundation for suspending belief that created the theme experience once so easy to find in the Magic Kingdom. Foundations like that help build you up when you'd rather be in another time.

Thanks to the Best Possible Job's (four) loyal readers and new friends whose kind words helped get this show back on the road. A smile and a song to you all.

5 comments:

TokyoMagic! said...

As someone that has been going through "family matters" for the past few months myself, I understand the need to take a break. That said...WELCOME BACK! You've been missed.

I miss the Flower Market too....and the rest of the charm that Main St. had, but has lost over the years! A friend told me something about Starbuck's going into the Market House. Does anyone know for sure if this is true? As for the party line phones, they removed quite a few of them when the Disneyana shop expanded into the Market House's back room (the round room), but last time I checked, there were still a couple phones in the main room.

joyiseverywhere said...

Yeah! I am so glad you are back. You don't know me, but your blog brings so much joy to my day.

Welcome back!

TokyoMagic! said...

Okay, now the same friend says the Starbucks thing in the Market House isn't going to happen after all, so who knows if it was ever legitimate! He reads a lot of the "rumor mill" stuff online. I just read my favorite blogs!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Glad your back, I hope things are looking on the bright side. Blogging can turn from fun to a chore in a snap when life comes calling...

I believe there are at least four working phones; two by the Main St. door and two by the E. Center St. door. They ever have different messages playing.

The CM at the Market House would not confirm the Starbucks rumor (I read it a few places online) she even rolled her eyes a bit at the thought! By the way, I usually get my morning coffee at the Market House, its pretty decent and keep your receipt - free refills all day - you don't even have to save the cup!

Sorcerer Mickey said...

You can still listen to the Market House Party Line Telephones (and more) at Sorcerer's Workshop.org:
http://sorcerersworkshop.org/partylinephone.shtml